Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 ¼ hours
- 400g Carême gluten free sour cream shortcrust pastry, thawed
- ⅓cup olive oil
- 2 brown onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1kg butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 100g goats feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 300ml sour cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced) and lightly grease a 22cm round loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Divide pumpkin between two baking trays, toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until evenly coated. Place baking trays in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until pumpkin is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Add sugar, vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To prepare the tart shell, place pastry on a lightly floured (gluten free) work surface, dust rolling pin with flour and roll to a thickness of 4mm. Check to see if the pastry is the correct size for the tart tin, place the tart tin over the pastry, there should be at least a 3cm border the whole way around.
- To blind bake the pastry case roll the pastry up onto the rolling pin and gently unroll over the tart tin, line the pastry with baking paper*. Fill tart tin to the top with baking weights or a dried pulse (eg. chickpeas), to help support the sides and weigh the base down during cooking.
- Place tart tin on a baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove tart tin from oven, check pastry is lightly golden around the edges before removing beans and baking paper. Return tart tin to oven and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the base is golden.
- Spread the cooled caramelized onion over the base of the prepared tart shell, followed by the roasted pumpkin, feta and sprinkle over the sage. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper, until well combined. Pour over the filling ingredients, making sure everything is covered by the egg mixture.
- Return tart in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, before removing tart tin.
*Tip: leave your baking paper sitting high (about 4cm) above the tart tin this makes it easier when lifting the baking weights out.